Conversational customer engagement
Chatbots can’t be human. But they can think like we do and respond to queries as we do. This is happening in a medium that’s quickly becoming the biggest platform for communication after voice – text. With advances in artificial intelligence and natural language processing, machines can understand queries and respond to them just as we do. More importantly, machines are learning from this so that they’re able to handle more and more complex conversations. It’s exactly what we do as humans and it’s opening up a whole new level of customer engagement.
Advantages of chatbots
Chatbots are devoid of human bias. Machines learn through assisted learning or training guides or through real-life interactions. They don’t have the ability to think independently and so can’t be biased. Would you prefer an emotional Oprah Winfrey or a data-driven Spock as your customer representative?
Bots are still mostly text-based. This means they give your customers the safety of a text chat with the conversational warmth of a human. Your customer service reps don’t have to pick up the phone to get hold of you. And a text-based message from a business about a potential sale is likely to be far better received.
Analytics are captured automatically. When your chatbots answer customer queries, they can be programmed to record the reactions to a feature or product. This helps the business learn how their customers respond to certain elements of the business.
More economically viable. To program a bot into the backend of your customer engagement software is easily cheaper than hiring an entire staff to manage said software. Upkeep and maintenance too are limited and aren’t likely to cost much.
5 tips using chatbots to create more effective customer engagement:
- Use them to build customer satisfaction. Chatbots give your customers immediate one-on-one responses. In this always-on world, this is exactly what customers demand. This problem-solving assistance and effective guidance will leave your customers happy and coming back for more.
- Customers love personalization. Chatbots can learn responses and can process a mountain of data in an instant. Customer details and history are easily fed into the CRM systems meaning that your chatbot is likely to be talking to your customers by name and with background knowledge.
- Chatbots provide a real-time conversation. They’re the fastest response channel when communicating with your customers. This pace can lead to time and cost savings for all parties involved.
- They’re easily integrated. The flexible infrastructure of chatbots means that it’s really simple to integrate them with other channels to improve engagement. A simple example of this is having a chatbot initiate a conversation with a customer who’s made an online reservation. The bot can lead the customer to an online purchasing page and close the sale with a satisfied customer.
- Enriching the user experience. Consider chatbots as the ultimate brand representatives. After all, you can program them to know and say whatever you want them to say without the risk of a disgruntled employee. And they have real-time interactions with your customers. Adding this interactive option to your communication channels provides greater options for your customers to engage with you.
While almost anyone these days could build a bot with basic programming knowledge (or Google), business owners should be cautious. Building a bot and enabling business solutions through chatbots are two different kettles of fish. Rather approach an experienced and reputable chatbot expert who’ll work alongside you to unlock the potential that chatbots bring. If you’d like to learn more about how chatbots are making waves across the business, read our latest article. It highlights the benefits of chatbots to SMEs.