If you want to connect to our SMS Gateway and send email to SMS, the best way is often with a server-generated e-mail, making SMTP the connection you need. This is the industry standard used by operators to interconnect for high-volume messaging. It's also particularly useful for notification alerts.
Features of the SMTP API
- Like all our APIs, the SMTP connection supports text, Unicode, binary SMS and flash messaging.
- It gives you support for extended length messages.
- You're able to use our converters to turn ringtones and logos into the correct format.
- You can use our VCard and VCal converters.
- Delivery acknowledgement and Sender ID can be set up.
- Gateway escalation: Should the message be delayed for a predefined length of time, it can be escalated to an alternative delivery gateway. Queuing lets you specify up to 3 prioritized queues which your messages can be sent out on.
- Delivery delay gives you the ability to specify a delay of up to 7 days when sending messages.
- You can set up batch sending.
- While two-way messaging is not a feature of SMTP you can always make use of HTTP, FTP or SMPP to receive incoming messages.
SMTP API Quickstart Guide
This tutorial will explain in just a few simple steps how you can send an SMS using Clickatell’s SMTP API. Note: in the manual example outlined below it is assumed that developers will utilize server-generated commands to insert these posts into their code automatically. How to connect via SMTP:
Sign up for an SMTP account and you will be given a username, password and api_id: keep these at hand. Once you have registered and been activated you will receive 10 free credits with which to test our service.
Have the number you wish to send to ready in international format e.g. 448311234567.
Open your Email client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook). Create a new email in text (not html) format. In the address field type: email@example.com
Type your account and message details in the body of the email, laid out as follows
Text: Meet me at home
Press send and your message will be delivered.
Sign up for Developers’ Central now and get 10 free test messages
- Routing and Sender ID problemsabout 18 hours ago
- SMTP support on the americas account1 day ago
- Online SMS sender/receiver that works with Clickatell3 days ago
Start sending SMS now
Reliable, scalable and customizable, Developers’ Central integrates with your systems and applications via our wide variety of APIs.Try Developers' Central now
& get 10 free test messages