How do I test my WhatsApp Business integration?
To test your Whatsapp Business integration, you will need an approved WhatsApp number set up on your account. Learn more about the application process here.
Once WhatsApp approves your application, we will set up your WhatsApp business number on your Clickatell account. Two integrations will also be added - a sandbox integration and a production integration - and you'll be able to start sending messages using our REST API. (If you are still waiting for WhatsApp approval, read more here on how to test in the demo environment.)
The sandbox integration allows you to send test messages from your approved WhatsApp Business number at no cost to your pre-registered test phone numbers:
Steps to send a test WhatsApp message from the sandbox integration:
- Ensure that you understand the requirements around different WhatsApp message types. Test messages have to comply with the rules created by WhatsApp for different WhatsApp message types.
- Ensure that you have set up at least one test phone number.
- To test a reply to a customer-initiated message, send a WhatsApp message from your test phone number to your approved WhatsApp Business number and reply to the message within 24 hours. Your reply can be an unstructured conversational message if you reply within 24 hours. If you reply outside of the 24-hour window, you'll need to make use of a pre-approved template message available in your Clickatell account.
- To test a business-initiated message or a re-engagement message (replying to an incoming message after 24 hours), you would also need to make use of templated messages. There are pre-approved Clickatell template messages available in your account that you can use for testing purposes.
The production integration allows you to send messages from your approved WhatsApp Business number to any WhatsApp-enabled phone number.
Steps to send a WhatsApp message from your production integration:
- To reply to a customer-initiated message, send a WhatsApp message from any WhatsApp-enabled phone number to your WhatsApp business number. Reply to the message within 24 hours. If you reply after 24 hours, you will have to make use of a template message.
- To send a business-initiated message or a re-engagement message (replying to an incoming message after 24 hours), you need to use an approved template message. Read more about how to submit your WhatsApp message template for approval.
View pricing for template messages sent via your production API here.